photo

photo

18.8.26

The "Fig Tree" Analogy

 Hi lovelies!! Sorry I haven't posted in a while a lot's been happening ๐Ÿ˜ฎ‍๐Ÿ’จ Also, thank you so much for 70 followers I can't believe there's that many of you! Love you guys <3

First of all, I have not read The Bell Jar as I have heard that Sylvia Plath was racist and I just don't really wanna read a book written by someone like that. However, there's an analogy used in the book that is quite well known, which is the fig tree analogy. For those unfamiliar with it, it is the main character in The Bell Jar's life branching out before her like a green fig tree. At the tip of every branch sits a "fat purple fig," representing a completely different future. One fig is a traditional family life (a husband, home, and children), another fig is a career as a famous poet or brilliant professor, and other figs represent traveling the world, finding unique lovers, etc. My fig tree is the one you see right there →→→

Now, I'm two years away from graduating and moving on from this current life of mine (I know it's early to think about my future so much, carpe diem and live in the present and whatever, I just can't wait to live the life I want. emphasis on I) and for a little while, i was sure of what I wanted to do. When I was nine years old up until I was around 13, I was 99.99999% sure I wanted to be a fashion designer. My mother has the bank statements of getting me two sewing machines, a bunch of fabric and lessons to prove it and I have the large sewing machine right in front of me as I write this, collecting dust. I was never any good at the sewing aspect but god I loved designing. I still have all my old sketches. and occasionally still sketch dresses when I' m bored, but I could never do it as a real career.

Which brings me to present day, in which I was 99% sure I wanted to pursue psychology as my degree, then do something with children/ in child psychology . I still do, don't get me wrong, but I've also been thinking so much recently about how much I would LOVE to be a political journalist, or a baker with a cozy cafe, or an activist that travels the world helping people. I don't think I'll ever tie myself down to one reality, even with a stable job in psychology, maybe I'll pursue writing or journalism as a side job recreationally. But part of my hesitation with psychology is the fact it contains SO many years of schooling and do I really wanna ask my mother to pay tuition for so long? 

I don't know if when I choose my fig i'll ever stop thinking about how my life could look if I had eaten a different one, but I think I need to remember that my life won't end or be ruined if I have to veer off the plan I've made. Things will work out eventually.

Thank you for reading <3

2 comments:

  1. I love the fig tree analogy! I also recently graduated from university with a journalism degree and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about it<3

    ReplyDelete