Something I've observed by listening and watching my surroundings all the time is that the obsession with body image and weight is something that affects us all. Whether that is a pre-teen or an elderly person, a girl or a boy, teenager or adult, everyone sees something wrong with their bodies one way or another. More often than not, that manifests into an eating disorder, whether that's Bulimia, ANA, binge eating etc.
I first started REALLY noticing that it affects everyone recently enough. Of course I knew there wasn't a certain demographic that was the only one that could feel that way but I just noticed it in public a lot recently. When i was in the car with two friends in their mid twenties in the backseat as they had a conversation where one was saying she wanted to go on weight loss medication and the other is trying to gain weight. Then in a coffee shop recently, two elderly women behind me who looked beautiful to me were speaking about how they needed to "watch their weight". A family member of mine spent so many of his teen years going to weight loss clinics and to this day is on a diet. Given that as a child it was for health reasons, it developed into him purging when he ate more than he should've. Another family member ate only soup for a long time. I could go on and on with stories.
Me personally (i guess there's your answer ), I've struggled with my body image and relationship with food for as long as I can remember. I've thought I was too skinny and I've thought I was too fat, and both are so consuming. I would starve for days on end, binge then purge. Even after I thought I had recovered, i just disguised it as counting calories. i stuck to a very small calorie goal religiously and told myself it was healthy and that it was better to count calories and protein than the previous disordered eating habits, when in reality it wasn't. It's important to note that I was never overweight. I never even looked fat, but to my mother, as soon as my face got chubby, it was her divine purpose to remind me every day. Now that I've finally gotten closer to being okay with how I look, This topic isn't hard to write about honestly.
I want to finish this post because I feel like it's getting long but I could speak endlessly about how obsession with bodies in our society is extremely dangerous and how much it changes a person. I'm not here to sugarcoat it and say that someone who's morbidly obese shouldn't lose weight, I'm saying everyone is beautiful no matter what the number on the scale is and that nobody needs to lose or gain weight for cosmetic reasons rather than health reasons. I genuinely do not think anyone on earth is ugly at all, beauty is subjective and I think all of us looking unique is one of the most beautiful things. To whoever is reading this, YOU ARE PERFECT ♡
signing off with love, farrah ♡

This is such a vulnerable post that I can relate to. I’m glad I’m not alone!
ReplyDelete♡♡♡
Delete